One for the guys out there….
Can you get rid of your beer belly and man boobs with some pretty simple changes? Answer: Yes
Can you target your beer belly and man boobs with a special fitness or diet regime? Answer: No
Do you love your beer belly and man boobs? Answer: …
I had a little beer belly at one time… I’m a skinny dude really but did spend 5 months in America eating pizza and drinking Bud pretty much every day. I got a gut that I was quite proud of at the time. It was an awesome ski season as a lifty in Tahoe as a 19 year old, by the way I’d recommend it when young to get away for a few months for an overseas experience but thats another story.
Not sure if I’d still be skinny now if it wasn’t for good nutrition, exercise and getting outdoors. My Dad always said I’d hit 30 and get fat like him (he wasn’t fat but he’d gotten chubby). I’m hitting 40 soon and stronger than ever with no beer belly or man boobs to speak of, so in general gene’s don’t have too much of a say … if you don’t want them to.
Double beer belly with man boobs!
OK, … so then how do you work on getting rid of man boobs and your beer belly? I don’t understand why we can’t target these areas!?
You should know all of the millions of advertisements that say you can get 6 pack abs with whatever bollocks system is probably exaggerating its effectiveness right? If you don’t know this then…, well now you do.
Getting magic abs is just like someone telling you (selling you) that you can get rid of just the man boobs and beer bellies (which cover the abs obviously). But it is impossible to target fat reduction from one area of your body (spot fat reduction fallacy).
What is a beer belly and man boobs anyway? Why can’t you see your abs… easy, because of a particularly stubborn layer of fat ‘protecting’ your organs. OK makes sense, now what?
Burning the fat off helps obviously, so lowering your Body Mass Index (BMI). And increasing the size of the muscle underneath (particularly abs) but mostly getting generally fitter (also to boost your basel metabolic rate = calorie burn).
…are you heading this way?
How to get rid of beer belly and man boobs?
This is short and sweet beginner advice, because a plan is always going to be highly individualised based on your personality, preferences, history, health and fitness.
So for someone who’s a bit chubby (or a bit fat) and wants to get rid of the boobs and the gut to start on the path to getting fitter and healthier, these two simple changes could be the best starting point for you.
Dude, Eat Real Food (DERF)
Move More (MM)
To elaborate on eating piece, lets make it simple and follow what author Michael Pollen said a while back:
“Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”
“Eat food” from this quote means to eat REAL FOOD — vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and, yes, fish… even meat (depending on preferences/beliefs). Avoid what Pollan calls “edible food-like substances.” See below for his further notes on how. *
MOVE MORE means to get active doing an activity you enjoy so that it is sustainable. Simply be more active during your day especially if desk bound. Schedule focused exercise a few times a week. Ideally with friends, again for sustainability and enjoyment.
To start, get up from your desk and out the door for a 10 minute walk… today. To progress over the weeks continue walking, start jogging and add intervals. Also to progress over time add in some muscle building type exercises such as push ups or pull-ups. Most important is doing something you can incorporate into your life so that it becomes a part of your identity as I said in here.
Incorporating more and more of both DERF and MM will help you lose fat and build muscle so that you can get rid of the man boobs and beer belly. To go into more detail would be easy but on an individual basis remember everyone is different so you need to find what works for you to make sure that any changes you make are sustainable.
There are a thousand other things I could mention that would have a big impact for some people, for example, the need to de-stress, sleep better, motivation to get outside, build overall body muscle, high intensity training, drink water, macronutrient balances, improve posture, less boozing, work life balance, habit and behaviour to name just a few.
Hope that helps get started on a road to boob-less and belly-less Dads who want to be good role models out there.
Keen get you to reply or comment below, I promise I’ll get back to you.
* Here’s how to DERF:
- Don’t eat anything your great grandmother wouldn’t recognise as food. “When you pick up that box of portable yogurt tubes, or eat something with 15 ingredients you can’t pronounce, ask yourself, “What are those things doing there?” Pollan says.
- Don’t eat anything with more than five ingredients, or ingredients you can’t pronounce.
- Stay out of the middle of the supermarket; shop on the perimeter of the store. Real food tends to be on the outer edge of the store near the loading docks, where it can be replaced with fresh foods when it goes bad.
- Don’t eat anything that won’t eventually rot. “There are exceptions — honey — but as a rule, things like Twinkies that never go bad aren’t food,” Pollan says.
- It is not just what you eat but how you eat. “Always leave the table a little hungry,” Pollan says. “Many cultures have rules that you stop eating before you are full. In Japan, they say eat until you are four-fifths full. Islamic culture has a similar rule, and in German culture they say, ‘Tie off the sack before it’s full.'”
- Families traditionally ate together, around a table and not a TV, at regular meal times. It’s a good tradition. Enjoy meals with the people you love. “Remember when eating between meals felt wrong?” Pollan asks.
- Don’t buy food where you buy your petrol. In the U.S., 20% of food is eaten in the car.