This is a cool bit of science that EVERYONE who wants to stay lean or get lean should know. Even those who exercise a lot need to pay close attention. I’ll keep this short and sweet and show you how to burn more calories every day.
Improving eating and exercise habits is one way to look at burning fat. This is extremely general, although both are necessary but also depend totally on the individual. Fat loss is a combination of many factors influencing each other. Major factors are how we burn calories and how many calories we burn.
We burn of calories from:
- Basel Metabolic Rate which is staying alive.
- Thermic Effect of Food which is digestion.
- Activity Thermogenesis which is exercise + Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT)
NEAT is any movement that is not classed as specific exercise, so anything from the ironing, cooking, gardening, walking to the shops or fidgeting. What you need to do is boost NEAT making it a part of your daily routines.
Increasing NEAT can benefit EVERYONE even those who get out the door to exercise regularly. You don’t want to ‘waste’ all that exercise with total inactivity the rest of the day. NEAT is proven over and over to be a big influence in calorie burn, getting toned and fat loss (science here, here, here, here). It should be essential to boost NEAT in your everyday life and in every fat loss plan. Think of it like this, the inactivity or sitting is like a disease robbing you of calorie burn!
NEAT ideas (boost by up to 2,000 calories burnt a day!) :
- Walk places like the post office, school, shops, etc.
- Stand up meetings.
- Stand up desk (like DaVinci, Hemingway and Churchill)
- Walk for 5 minutes every hour … at least get up of your ass and do star jumps regularly.
- Use the stairs.
- Play with the kids.
- Do the housework or gardening…. and smile!
Any other ideas?
Check out James Levine for a more in depth look in his book, “Move a Little, Lose a Lot”.
Neat! (yes, cheesey I know)